File System Filter Driver SDK
A file system filter driver intercepts requests targeted at a file system or another file system filter driver. By intercepting the request before it reaches its intended target, the filter driver can extend or replace functionality provided by the original target of the request.To develop file systems and file system filter drivers, use the Windows Driver Kit (WDK),which is provided by Microsoft. Even with the resources available in the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) developing file systems is certainly a challenge. To simplify your development and to provide you with a robust and well-tested file system filter driver that works with all versions and patch releases of the Windows operating systems supported by Microsoft, EaseFilter Inc. offers the file system filter driver SDK which provides a complete, modular environment for building active file system filters in your application.
File System Tiered Storage (hierarchical storage management, HSM) Filter Driver SDK, is a data storage technique which automatically moves data between high-cost and low-cost storage media. Tiered Storage Filter systems exist because high-speed storage devices, such as hard disk drive arrays, are more expensive (per byte stored) than slower devices, such as network attached storage(NAS),optical discs and magnetic tape drives. Tiered storage file system filter driver normally integrates with storage lifecycle management(SLM) software, or called information lifecycle management (ILM) software. Tiered Storage Filter systems store the bulk of the enterprise's data on slower devices. A stub is created for and replaces each migrated file in the fast disk drives. On the local system, a stub file looks and act like a regular file. When you or a Windows application accesses a migrated file stub, the Windows operating system transparently directs a file access request to the Tiered Storage Filter driver. This driver retrieves the full file from the repository to which it was migrated. The automated tiered storage can integrate with existing applications, without affecting the original data and programs. Without any modification of existing applications, the local storage can automatically be extended to the network storage.
Tiered storage can be widely used in telecommunications, government, oil, medical and other industries. Tiered storage is the first choice of medical PACS (PictureArchivingandCommunicationSystem, medical imaging storage and transmission systems), a lot of data in such applications are rarely visit, these data are transferred to a less expensive network storage. When users and applications access the stub files in the local storage, it is completely transparent, the system will automatically restore the data back to the stub file from the network storage server. The network attached storage is scalable, tiered storage products provide users with an infinite online data space.
The main advantages of tiered storage are:
- To maximize the server's hard disk available space.
- To improve efficiency, when the user needs these data, it can be accessed transparently in real time.
- Reduce the server backup time and recovery time, only need to backup frequently used files.
- Improve data security, the data in the server can be encrypted, and access these data through the storage management software, only authorized users can access the data, and can log the access activities.
- To remove duplicate data, the storage server only keep single instance.
You can develop the softwares for the following purposes:
• Create automatic tiered storage system.
• Create ILM archiving system.
• Create cloud storage system.
• Create data security system.
File system monitor filter can monitor the file system activities on the fly. With file system monitor filter you can monitor the file activities on file system level, capture file open,create, overwrite, read, write,query file information, set file information, query security information, set security information, file rename, file delete, directory browsing and file close I/O requests. You can develop the softwares for the following purposes:
• Create your own Continuous data protection (CDP) software to log the file update information, write information with offset and length in real time.
• Audit your file content.You can intercept any file system call, analyze it content, log it.
• Create Access Log, you will know who, when, what files were accessed.
• Journal the file update information. This control may be based on any file parameters, such as its location, type, size, etc. .
File system control filter can control the file activities, which you can intercept the file system call, modify its content before or after the request goes down to the file system, allow/deny/cancel its execution based on the filter rule. You can fully control file open/create/overwrite, read/write, query/set file attribute/size/time security information, rename/delete, directory browsing these Io requests. With file system control filter you can developer these kinds of softwares:
•Create your Data protection Software. Block accessing your data based on your security policy, prevent data modification without pemission.
• Create your own encryption software via encrypt the write data and decrypt the read data.
• Create your own custom security policies to control the file access.
• Hide or replace the files in the directory. You can modify the directory buffer to hide some files or change file name.
A Free File Utility,file test and diagnose tool, help you to test file Open with different file mode, file access, file share. You can read file data, write file data, set or get file attribute, set or get file lastwritetime, set or get file lastaccesstime, set or get file creation time, get file size; You also can get file MD5 hash, or get file block data MD5 hash, get file Sha1 hash, or get file block data Sha1 hash; You also can do file compare, or folder compare, or block data compare, it can show missed file and mismatch content; You also can do search and replace file content in a specific folder with custom search pattern, or search files by name, and also can batch rename the file name; YOu can analyze your disk, scan folder, get total files and size by file type and file lastwritetime, let you know your disk file status; You also can create sparse file, or create reparse point file, query sparse file allocated ranges, query reparse proint data, add or remove reparse point tag data.